Get international certification as a Whitewater Rescue Technician (WRT)—the standard for river guides, instructors, and paddlers. Build confidence, knowledge, and skills through hands-on practice and simulations.
Get international certification as a Whitewater Rescue Technician (WRT)—the standard for river guides, instructors, and paddlers.
Build, , and through . The Whitewater Rescue Technician Level I & II is highly recommended for recreational paddler to have at a minimum, so that they could help if a situation arose.
You'll gain tools for rescues, starting in easy rapids then challenging yourself in harder water and more complex situations. Become competent performing—and making .
Your certification is valid for 3 years before you need to re-certify.
You can choose to do the full course and achieve your Whitewater Rescue Technician Level I, II, & III in 4 days. Alternatively, you can also take the course over two 2-day blocks by doing the and then, anytime within the three year certification period, taking the . The WRT-Bridge Level III is also used for those who need to re-certify.
Whitewater Rescue Level I & II - May 12-13th 2018
Whitewater Rescue Level I, II, & III (Full Course) - May 12-15th 2018
Whitewater Rescue Technician Level III or Recert/Bridge - May 14-15th 2018
Please click the above links for full information and to make a booking.
- 16 years and up. 16 and 17 year olds need written parental consent
- Swimming ability is necessary
- Pre-course prep (see Boreal River webpage)
Take away materials
- Waterproof course manual: Whitewater Rescue Field Guide
- Locking rescue carabiner & 5m of tubular webbing for your rescue kit
- Certification card, practical evaluation record sheet, Whitewater Rescue Technician sticker
What to expect
- Get tons of hands-on practice with professional instructors, a great learning environment, and a well-run course
- Increase your knowledge of the river environment to avoid hazards and work with the water, not against it
- Practice techniques such as swimming, wading, and throwing ropes to move around the river, perform self-rescues, and rescue others
- Learn knots, anchors, and rope systems for use in equipment recovery and transportation
- Gain the tools to carry out effective rescues with limited resources when river running
- Progress from learning skills in easy water to performing more complex rescues in bigger rapids
- Gain experience and confidence through challenging simulations and drills.
Level I & II - $339+taxes
Level I, II, & III - $599+taxes
Bridge to Level III or Recert - $339+taxes
How to Register
2. Choose which level you wish to book onto by clicking the links in the description. Click the Details/Register for the course based in Revelstoke, BC.
3. Fill out the registration form on that page or call Boreal river anytime at +1 (866) 242-9383. Follow the instructions to pay your tuition by credit card, e-mail transfer, or cheque.
4. Receive a confirmation e-mail along with a ‘student information package’ and a course receipt.
The following equipment can be rented from Boreal River Rescue. Prices are in CAD and include rental for your whole course:
Wetsuit (full length arms & legs, fleece-lined) - $55
Helmet - $10
Rescue PFD (with ‘quick-release’ harness) - $35
Boreal River Cancellation Policy
For cancellations more than 60 days from course start: full refund minus $35 registration fee.
For cancellations less than 60 days but more than 2 weeks from course start: 50% refund.
For cancellations less than 2 weeks from course start date: no refund.